July 2020 – The Month of the Lord is my Rock
And he said: “The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer- 2 Samuel 22:2
We thank God for bringing us to the second half of the year 2020. To Him be the glory forever and ever, Amen.
Rock is used to refer to someone or something that is extremely strong, reliable, or hard. Stability, impregnability, strength, permanence, and duration are qualities of a rock.
King David takes time to reflect upon his life and ponders his problems and God’s provision and victories over those problems. He calls the Lord his rock and his fortress, and his deliverer. He has been delivered from all his enemies including Saul. Here we see one of the reasons why David was a man after God’s own heart.
King David shares the reality that when times are tough, God is our only true security. The Lord is my rock. The rock speaks of strength, durability, and reliability.
In the stormy pestilence of Covid 19, that overtook the whole world, the Lord has been our Rock, Fortress and Deliverer.
Christ is our Rock:
Edward Mote (1797-1874) knew this truth when He wrote the song, “On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand.”
Fanny Crosby (1820-1915) wrote the song, “He hides my soul in the cleft of the rock.” And
Augustus Toplady (1740-1778) penned the song, “Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee.” This song was based on 1 Corinthians 10:4—”And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”
As our rock, Jesus gives us several things.
1. HE GIVES STRENGTH-Rocks are strong. You need strength when you are weak, weary, and worried. Christ provides this for us. Psalm 18:2— The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.w
2. HE GIVES SECURITY & SHELTER-Doors were secured by large stones, some which were round. Security from attacks or storms were provided by rocks. Psalm 62:8— Trust in him at all times, ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
3. HE GIVES REDEMPTION-Our Lord gives us something to grab on to when we are in the quicksand of life. Our salvation is in Him and Him alone. Psalm 18:2— The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
4. HE GIVES TRANQUILITY-Christ gives the believer a calm and rest in his life. Matthew 11:28— Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
5. HE GIVES CONTENTMENT-1 Corinthians 10:4— And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. Christ had to be smitten for us in order for us to be satisfied.
6. HE GIVES STABILITY-The cornerstone was part of the foundation of the building and helped provide stability to the structure. We are God’s building and Christ is the foundation of our life. 1 Corinthians 3:11— For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Christ gives steadiness and stability to our life— A double minded man is unstable in all his ways-James 1:8.
How stable are you in your life?
7. HE GIVES SINGULARITY or Unity- The cornerstone joins the walls together. Christ brings unity too. Believers who are Jews or Gentile are united in Christ. Christ united men with God. Romans 12:5— So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and everyone members one of another. Christ unites homes, friends, and churches.
We may tremble on the Rock, but the Rock will never tremble under us.
Are floods of failure and frustration trying to sweep you away? then cling to the Rock. Are the winds of worry and waywardness trying to blow you down?, then cling to the Rock. It is when we start wanting to cling to other things this world offers or promises that we get confused and become unstable.
Is the Lord your Rock?
May the Rock of Ages Cleft for us that we may hide ourselves in Him in the mighty name of Jesus.
Welcome to the month of July 2020, the month of the ” Lord is my Rock.”
Yours in Him,
Pastor Lillian Haastrup
April 1, 2021
March 1, 2021
February 1, 2021