October 2020 – The Month of Holiness unto The Lord
The month of Holiness unto the Lord
Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: Hebrews 12:14
The Lord is great and wonderful. We thank God for bringing us to the tenth month of the year 2020. The number ten is a complete and perfect number. In the Bible, the number is used on many occasions to signify testimony, law, and responsibility. One of our responsibilities is “Holiness unto the Lord.” Hebrews 12:14 says Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.” 1 Peter 1:15-16 says ” but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”
Holiness is perfect purity in thought, word, and action. Holiness is an attribute of God; God is holy, and it is a command from God to be holy, “be ye holy; for I am holy.” Holiness is to partake of the divine nature of God. Holiness is likeness to God as it is revealed in Christ Jesus. Holiness is Christlikeness in this world. It is a process of becoming like Jesus. If we are going to be consecrated to the Lord, it is vital to remember that our Lord is holy and He expects us to be holy, too. Our lives are to be patterned after Him.
If we are going to be at peace with all people, if people are going to see Christ in our lives and if Christ is going to be glorified in us, then we need to live like Him. We are His ambassadors. Worldliness and carnal living do not characterize the life of Christ, but holiness does. The walk or the lifestyle of the victorious Christian is characterized by Christlikeness. Holiness should be guiding us, in our choices, and our decisions all the time. Asking this question always: What would Jesus do?
Our Purpose as Christians is to live a holy life -1 Peter 2:9—But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
Elisha was called a holy man of God-2 Kings 4:9 – The Shunammite woman said to her husband, “Look now, I know that this is a holy man of God, who regularly passes by us.” The woman discerned Elisha’s needs because she was observant. She was alert and paying attention to the needs of someone else. She also discerned his character, that Elisha was a holy man of God. What a great example and legacy that Elisha lived before others. It is the same example we are to live too. People are watching your life and your example. Jesus Christ lived a holy life when He came to the world-John 17:19- “And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.”
Why do we have to be holy?
1. God wants believers to be holy-1 Thessalonians 4:7- “For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.” Matthew 5:48 – “Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.” We are to separate ourselves from the world’s sinful values and lifestyles and to be devoted to God’s desires rather than our own and carry His love and mercy into the world.
2. We are Commanded to be holy -2 Corinthians 7:1—”Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” We must make the choice to put the principles of God’s Word into practice. Obedience, holiness, and godliness are not automatic because we continue to struggle with our flesh. Therefore, we are challenged to cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit. We are the ones that must throw out the garbage. If we do not, our sin will rob us of our joy.
3. We are to be Conformed to the Lord. -Romans 12:1-2-We cannot achieve Christlike character and holy living all at once, but we must grow toward maturity, in grace, and wholeness. Just as we expect different behaviors from a baby, a child, a teenager, and an adult, so God expects different behaviors from us, depending on our stage of spiritual development. We are not to live in the mold of a heathen world. Our lifestyles are not to be sensual, wild, and ungodly.
4. Holiness is profitable-1 Timothy 4:7-8: “But refuse profane and old wives’ fables and exercise thyself unto godliness. For bodily exercise profited little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.”
How can one be holy?
1. By confessing and repenting of all sins and be converted-1 John 1:8-9: “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
2. Through obedience to the Word of God-John 15:3: Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. John 17:17—Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
3. By prayer and fasting- Matthew 7:7: “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.”
4. Through the Grace of God-Titus 2:11-12:” For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.”
5. Through Suffering and Chastening-Hebrews 12:10: “For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.” God wants us to be clean and holy! Are you?
1. Father thank you for the Lord Jesus who was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
2. Father, every dirtiness in my spirit clear away by the power in the blood of Jesus
3. Father create in me a clean heart and renew a right Spirit within me.
4. Father by your grace let my life be a testimony to your glory in the name of Jesus.
5. Father, this month perfect all that concerns me. Remember me and send me destiny helpers in Jesus name.
6. Father send your Holy Ghost revival unto every member of our Church.
7. Thank you, Father, for answered prayers in Jesus name.
Welcome to the month of October 2020, the month of Holiness unto the Lord.
May the Lord perfect the work of holiness in our lives in Jesus name.
Yours in Him,
Pastor Lillian Haastrup
April 1, 2021
March 1, 2021
February 1, 2021