HE LEADS ME BESIDE STILL WATERS-PSALM 23:2B
Our God is an awesome God, He reigns from heaven above, with wisdom, power, and love. Our God is an awesome God indeed. The Redeemed Christian Church of God Mount Zion Chapel Toledo marks its 20th year anniversary this month of April. The Lord has been our strength and shield these 20 years and He has proved Himself to be a faithful God. To Him alone be the Glory, Honor, and Adoration in Jesus’ mighty name.
April is the beginning of the second quarter of the year and the beginning of a new season. If it had not been for the Lord who has been on our side, we would not be alive today, but we are not only alive, but we are also healthy. Our focus this year 2023 has been Psalm 23, hence, the theme for this month is taken from Psalm 23, verse 2b- “He leads me beside still waters.”
The Shepherd guides his flock to where there is appropriate water for the sheep to drink. He does not take them to where the river is rushing, and gushing, or take them to a waterfall, which can lead the sheep into danger and even death. The good shepherd leads his sheep beside still water to quench their thirst and, give them rest.
In the same way, the Shepherd leads his sheep beside the still waters, the Lord who is our Good Shepherd, leads and guides His children who depend on Him for guidance. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.” As children of God, it is important to know that to succeed in life, the leading and guidance of the Lord are paramount. God will guide us if we trust and depend on him. All we can do is trust the Lord with our lives and trust Him because He knows what is best for us. You never know what a day will bring forth, so, permit Him to lead and guide your life each day. The Lord is our Counselor, and He promises to give us guidance in our lives if we will let Him.
The Bible is a book of guidance from Genesis to Revelation. The Lord guided Noah in building the wooden Ark that withstood the flood (Genesis 6 &7). God spoke to Abraham to leave his nativity and move to a place he did not know before (Genesis 12). Isaac received God’s guidance not to go to Egypt in Genesis 26. The Angel of the Lord guided Jacob to stand stripped rods where the flock he was grazing was drinking water (Genesis 30). The children of Israel were led throughout their wilderness journey by the pillar of cloud in the day and pillar of fire by night (Exodus 13:21-22). King David was always inquiring the Lord for guidance (1 Samuel 30:8). Peter by following Jesus Christ’s instructions, was able to catch a net-breaking fish and walked on the sea. Faith is needed to profit from God’s leadership and guidance.
How do we receive the Lord’s leading?
1. Through Salvation—We start the journey of following the Lord by being saved- 1 Corinthians 2:14—But the natural man received not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
2. Reading and meditating on the Word of God—Make the Bible your blueprint for living. 2 Timothy 2:15—Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. Psalm 119:133—Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.
3. Through fervent Prayers—Ask the Lord for guidance in your prayers. Psalm 143:10—Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
4. By determining to intentionally please the Lord—Our goals should be to please God. He should be the focus of our life. 1 Thessalonians 2:4—But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so, we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
5. By Submission to the Spirit of God—We are to be filled with the Holy Spirit and yielded to Him each day. Sometimes God’s counsel will be contrary to our reasoning or logic. It may have seemed foolish to march around Jericho for seven days or for the widow to give her last morsel of food to Elijah, but they ended with blessing and victory because they obeyed God. Isaiah 55:8,9—For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
6. Through counsel from Godly people—God will work through our parent’s counsel and advice. Proverbs 1:8,9—My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.
7. By following Godly Instructions— Proverbs 4:13— Proverbs 13:18—Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honored.
8. By refusing evil counsel and crowds—Psalm 1:1—Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 1 Corinthians 15:33—Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
1. Awesome God, we thank you for your mercies and loving-kindness on all members present and past of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Mount Zion Chapel Toledo all these 20 years.
2. Thank you, Lord, for keeping us safe and healthy throughout the 1st quarter of the year 2023.
3. Father, please forgive our sins, trespasses, and iniquities by the power in the blood of Jesus Christ.
4. Lord help me by Your mercy, not be stubborn and disobedient to You again.
5. In the name of Jesus Christ, I command my spiritual mind, to become alert to the leading of the Lord. 6.
6. In the name of Jesus, I receive the grace to hear from God and know when He is talking to me.
7. In the name of Jesus Christ, I shall not destroy my life through stubbornness and disobedience to God’s directives.
8. Lord Jesus, quicken my mind to understand your ways and leadings for the rest of my life.
9. In the name of Jesus, I destroy the work of every power blindfolding me from seeing God’s leading and guidance.
10. In the name of Jesus, from today on, I activate the ministry of angels of divine guidance and direction.
Welcome to the month of April 2023. May the Lord instruct you and teach you the way you should go and may He guide you with His eyes in Jesus’ name (Psalm 32:8 (NKJV).
Yours in Him,
Pastor Lillian Haastrup